Suggest changing KDF in the Bitwarden recommendation

In the Bitwarden February update, a new feature was introduced that allows users to change the KDF to argon2id, which upgrades security from the old pbkdf2 standard to a new one.

Updates have been released for the web version, mobile versions (GitHub/Google Play/iOS), and desktop versions (GitHub).

Although Vaultwarden hasn’t been updated yet, relevant information was discussed in the conversation two days ago.
KdfMemory, KdfParallelism for argon2 configuration · Discussion #3171 · dani-garcia/vaultwarden · GitHub

Given that the official version does not yet have argon2id as the default setting, would you consider providing a prompt under the Bitwarden field to suggest changing the KDF?

ps. The entire text was translated using ChatGPT and Deepl. If there are any tone or misunderstanding issues, it may be due to something I missed during the translation process.

1 Like

Would like to let this land, so we can know that all versions of the app work with it.

2 Likes

A friend tested it for web, chrome extention (firefox seems to be updated too), desktop (windows), and android. It worked on all

1 Like

@anon7579163
Hey, thanks for letting me know! I actually tested it out on some other platforms too and didn’t have any issues. But I’ve been eagerly waiting for Vaultwarden to update. Finally!

@dngray
I just checked, and it seems that Vaultwarden was released with the March update. As a result, all platforms, including Flatpak, should now be able to use Argon2id.

I am pretty sure changing this setting will break old backup exports though, we would have to test this.

Given that the official version does not yet have argon2id as the default setting, would you consider providing a prompt under the Bitwarden field to suggest changing the KDF?

Why not suggest users to switch to argon2 instead? its the superior option

1 Like