Skiff adds PGP as beta feature

I am currently in the process of switching my family members to Skiff and creating their email addresses on a family domain.

I’m still staying on mailbox.org, but Skiff is a very good option for my family because it allows for one custom domain on a free plan, and now it also has PGP, which was the only essential thing that was missing.

2 Likes

I think we added this? See image
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 10.56.18 AM

2 Likes

I do see that indicator when I email accounts I’ve already emailed once before with PGP, but it doesn’t seem to show up in the composer when I email accounts for the first time.

My bigger problem of not being able to read PGP emails in the web app still doesn’t seem to be resolved though:

Oh I see now, it can only read messages sent with PGP/MIME and not PGP/Inline. It does work after changing the “Default PGP scheme” setting in Proton to PGP/MIME.

I’ll note that on our site. Any plans to add support for both formats?

2 Likes

Just a note that PGP/MIME appears to be the default in proton.

I see Skiff has moved up to being listed 2nd. For my own curiosity, what would PG be looking for to list them first based solely on the email service?

Based purely on email alone Skiff now has a fairly pro-consumer model where they encourage vendor agnosticism. In the event it became needed, it would be fairly easy to migrate away from Skiff for email in the future should it become necessary. Others listed options do not give me that impression.

• Offers custom domain to free tier
    ** This is a paid feature on Proton
  • Offers a sudo-masking feature in free tier with unlimited aliases
    ** Proton offers true masking within Proton Pass, but you are limited to 10 aliases
  • Offers 4 aliases
    ** Proton only offers 1, but both services allow + addressing
  • Offers mass email export
    ** Bridge is a paid feature in Proton

In my opinion Skiff email is the #1 choice right now if someone your avg Gmail/Yahoo/iCloudMail user needed a private email provider today. I wouldn’t suggest Proton mail to someone unless they were intent on becoming a Proton Unlimited member for their other services. (our previous discussion on low-income/indigent). The free email tier is not superseded by Skiff, and I’d even make the case that Mail Plus on Proton doesn’t completely edge out Skiff free tier.

Not making the case that Skiff cal and Skiff drive should be listed #1. See Proton’s recent Photos backup service. However, if a family member or friend asked me to suggest give them my #1 email service with complaints of gmail or Yahoo, I’d have to send them to Skiff right now.

5 Likes

But Skiff still has not IMAP support right? That’s a dealbreaker for me. But maybe it will come soon.

3 Likes

They don’t. No Bridge or similar either.

I was comparing Skiff free tier to Proton’s free and mail plus. The free tier of Proton does not have IMAP.

1 Like

Anybody knows if the web-discovery feature works for Skiff or not ?. I tried to mail from skiff account with pgp enabled to my Mailbox org email which also has pgp enabled . But it did not seem to automatically discover my mailbox email pgp key. I had to manually add my mailbox email to contacts and add pgp key there.
Even the other way round when i tried to mail from mailbox to skiff mail , even mailbox didn’t seem to discovery any pgp keys and i had to manually add them to contact.
I am not sure if i am doing something wrong or if either of the providers are at fault. I am sure someone could help here ?

Also skiff doesn’t have an indicator in inbox whether a mail received was pgp encrypted or not.

Mailbox is awesome, only thing which is annoying with then in my opinion is the 2fa

1 Like

should create a PGP key pair with help of Kleopatra and publish it on server , then upload to skiff ? or creating a key pair in skiff itself will publish it to web directory ?

yes 2fa its is much complicated at first to understand . Not the easiest implimentation.

1 Like

It does, as I mentioned above. Are you using a custom domain?

1 Like

Although you are more right than wrong, my first impression after reading this was that you were hired as a marketing person by Skiff :slight_smile:

As of Proton, its plans and paying for them: Proton in my opinion is extremely solid thing, has great, easy to learn ecosystem, and I see nothing wrong in becoming paying customer. And Im on, mentioned by you, Proton Unlimited. Suits me well.

1 Like

I wish Skiff had waited until they got their mobile apps working with PGP before they rolled it out. Doesn’t work at all with iOS and Android.

I like that Skiff is listening to customers, but everything feels so half assed.

Edited because my spelling sucks.

2 Likes

No i am not using a custom domain. Even mainvelope says keys couldn’t be found.
Mainvelope does search in web key directory. Not sure whats wrong.
ssskiff (2)

Have you generated the PGP key on settings on web?

1 Like

yes i did. Maybe i need to ask skiff support now

You should upvote this feature request for PGP support in mobile apps.