Serious claims made against OnlyOffice

Oh, and you understand all about them? How come Kaspersky doesn’t hide it’s Russian base or Yandex we know they are operating from Russia and I don’t see those two listed in any recommendation. Why is merely OnlyOffice that does that?

And again I’m literally turning in circles here. Fake adresses are used for that sort of thing, but not to insinuate that you have an office or headquarters there where all of your employees supposedly work physically.

Which is what OnlyOffice did. It’s a lie you can read on their website. That address is not only fake but their “HQ” and “offices” in Latvia are fake too. They never existed in the first place.

You can look for their real office right here in Russia.

Yandex is a Dutch company located in Amsterdam, so there is that one for you.

The point is it’s not hidden, it literally says it on their wikipedia article. If they were trying to hide it they would be doing a pretty bad job don’t ya think.

It’s not uncommon to register a company in order to do things like payroll abroad etc. There could be many reasons, and in any case it predates the “war in Ukraine”

1 Like

If you are claiming Yandex to be a Dutch company then I’m really done talking about this. I’ve tried to make you understand.

see for yourself:
https://www.kvk.nl/orderstraat/product-kiezen/?kvknummer=272651670000

Their Wikipedia article was edited by someone else. The footnote contains that very critical Ukranian news Article from the ePravda. It was not them that put it up there voluntarily.

They do have a subsidiary in NL called Yandex N.V.

Yandex LLC’s holding company, Yandex N.V., is registered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands as a naamloze vennootschap (Dutch public limited company),[12] has its registered office in Schiphol Airport, and is listed in Nasdaq with a secondary listing in the Moscow Exchange.

Once again not particularly hard to find.

it’s not a subsidiary it’s the holding company (owning)

@Kanakkind the second link is the dutch chamber of commerce if you don’t trust wikipedia.

The link preview says " Yandex LLC (Russian: Яндекс) is a Russian multinational technology…", you say: Yandex is a Dutch company.

Okay…

That’s true, that would make it the parent.

A holding company is a company whose primary business is holding a controlling interest in the securities of other companies.[1] A holding company usually does not produce goods or services itself. Its purpose is to own shares of other companies to form a corporate group.

I wonder what percentage they own, I imagine it would have to be a fairly significant amount?

I am just showing you company structures in other countries are nothing weird.
IKEA also has it’s holding in Netherlands I believe even as NGO. While everyone thinks they are Swedish but on paper things differ. Does it matter? Not much. Just proving the point it is nothing strange really.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: New Email Services Recommendation: Skiff

It is a very strange discussion.
A witch hunt for Russians, or rather Russian companies.
Why should a Russian company be evil per se?

Please consume less fakenews and war propaganda. Say no to war, don’t let yourselves be harnessed.

2 Likes

I can’t speak to their online product, but I’ve used the desktop OnlyOffice client for the past year. It makes no unexpected network calls (just periodic update checks) and works as expected if internet access is completely revoked.

Also, the project is open source and the devs are quite active on GitHub.

Put those together and it seems tremendously unlikely that the desktop application is a privacy or security concern. If you’re worried then run it offline.

2 Likes