Restore EteSync (Calendar/Contacts Sync)

I think the number of open issues is a poor indication of anything. The fact that we don’t automatically close old tickets doesn’t mean much. This service works on Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and macOS for thousands of customers (probably many more, we don’t track our customers or have analytics), so a few bug reports over the span of a few years is nothing.

I use EteSync on four of those five platforms, and three of those (iOS, Windows, Mac) have serious reliability and-or functionality issues. In all cases the issues had either been posted on Git or I posted a few myself … only one ever got any dev response, the others haven’t been fixed. That’s not “nothing,” IMO, especially for things as crucial as contacts and calendar, one generally needs rock solid reliability for those in day-to-day life.

The OP originally had links to a bunch of those serious issues but the forum has a two link limit. Some of the examples I wanted to include are:

• On iOS & Desktop the events I add / changes I make to the calendar simply disappear and don’t sync, with no error or anything…this happens about once a week.
  • On desktop the DAV bridge is flaky which causes events / contacts to disappear and reappear constantly in Thunderbird (tested in other clients, same thing)
  • On desktop there are also regular SSL cert issues (separate from the above)
  • On iOS contacts randomly get duplicated
  • On iOS to sync you have to open, wait, and click a tiny button in the corner, instead of just…auto syncing when the app opens.

EteSync isn’t reliable on those platforms. Android is the only platform where it works pretty much as advertised and expected, hence my original suggestion to leave that up.

There are a lot of different platforms and some of them (not necessarily EteSync) are buggy. Often times the problem is actually user error.

If the problem was user error it’d be appreciated if the dev replied to bug reports or improved documentation to let the users know what to do differently … in absence of that, waving away serious issues with “it’s user error” is 0% helpful (and pretty dismissive, IMO).

So, respectfully, I have to disagree here and say the tons and tons of open issues on Git are accurate to my experiences on Windows, iOS, and macOS … frustratingly unreliable.

1 Like