Remove Skiff

I wanted to change it but seems someone already did.

Bump.
Vote for removing

Sorry for the silent change haha. I thought I’d do it quickly before hopping off this morning

I agree for the removal of Skiff.

Possibly. We are currently discussing it. Some of the issues mentioned here are not ones I experienced in my testing, so I can’t totally back this up yet without taking another look.

If we do remove Skiff Mail we’ll post a blog post about removing them to make sure people know what’s going on.

I feel like this might be an oversight (in our criteria), because I thought at one point we decided to remove this because of the fingerprintability (and overall uselessness) of DNT. I’ll try and find the discussion about that tomorrow and make a PR to change that if I do, or I’ll start a separate discussion about that change if not.

I wonder if @amilich would still care to comment.

11 Likes

We also still need to define on what grounds Skiff would not meet our criteria.
I am surely in favour of removal (which doesn’t surprise anyone) but it is still hard to express exactly why other than the company not being mature. Several forum users myself included, have expressed pretty vocally our concerns about Skiff being a risky recommendation before and after it got listed. Still I would really like to have a formalized baseline on what we are actually assessing here. So far we collectively have not been able to make this clear enough imo.

3 Likes

If you need the criteria to be adapted to fit your goal of removing Skiff, then it isn’t criteria. It’s your biases.

Adding my vote to remove Skiff. They are nowhere near the quality standards that their competitors bring.

Their software is a buggy mess and it is clear that they do not hold the same values that privacy advocates aspire to be.

Security is a slow process not something to be rushed.

+1
At least until issues will be resolved

You are misunderstanding. The criteria should be improved upon to avoid mistakes like skiff being added to the website. That is something different.

5 Likes

They are now migrating to something called Notion (https://www.notion.so) without saying a word and they are deleting their Discord channel. How professional…

2 Likes

Obviously approved with today’s news (Skiff – Migrating your data) and just needs a PR to remove them from the site now. I’m out & just on my phone right now so I’ll post more about this later— because we should brainstorm a better filter for companies like Skiff in the future certainly :grimacing:

16 Likes

Hi there :wave: Team from Forward Email here!

We just submitted a PR to remove Skiff for you (including assets/images) at https://github.com/privacyguides/privacyguides.org/pull/2398.

Separately, we have a PR open to add Forward Email at https://github.com/privacyguides/privacyguides.org/pull/2358.

2 Likes

Whoa. This is super unfortunate. But also quite a problem for those who use @skiff.com or their masked emails for a lot of their accounts. w
We should definitely warn people to start changing any possible credentials with that.

7 Likes

They have taken the blog posts down.

But all of this confirms one theory tho. Often companies that grow fast try to scale up so they can sell out at some point. It should be a red flag.

8 Likes

Now, I have no reason to use Skiff anymore. Moving to Proton (already have an account).

6 Likes

yeah so… how do we want to say that in a criteria that could be followed in the future? or we could just add “no bad vibes” to the criteria lol

3 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Avoiding the next Skiff

Seems like Skiff has been purchased by Notion. Just received an email from Skiff and here is part of the email:
“As we begin to shift focus to our shared efforts with Notion, we will be closing down Skiff’s product suite after a 6-month sunset period We are deeply appreciative of the trust users have extended to us, and we are committed to honoring that trust by ensuring that all data on Skiff is easily exportable. For the next 6 months, Skiff services will continue to operate without disruption, and users can freely duplicate, migrate, or export data. You can now also set up a forwarding address to redirect mail to any other provider.”

Probably a solid reason to remove them from PrivacyGuides.

1 Like

Damn, I figured they’d sell eventually but a 6 month timeline for shut down instead of maintaining the service is wild.

I also thought they’d pivot to some kind of 365/MS Loop offering between Skiff Pages and email.

3 Likes