PriEco: New open source web search engine

You are right, I was trying a lot to get some providers of ads or better sponsored search results that are reasonably private.

I couldn’t find any. I hope that when PriEco is much more popular, I will be able to find someone or even better, create own service of sponsored results to which users can add their website.

This is bussiness model most search engines use.
I will go with the one that works best for me and users.
If the “sponsored results” is the one that will be chosen, I really will make it subtle so it isn’t annoying and multiple users even requested to add “premium” to remove these ads

2 Likes

I think I’d personally prefer a paid search engine compared to ads. I already pay for Kagi

1 Like

you can also go free with ads and paid to remove them like Brave does (afaik)

2 Likes

I think this is better option because then both types of people can use PriEco
-People who don’t want to pay, get ads
-People who pay, no ads

1 Like

With the first group being marginally larger lol

3 Likes

Hi all,
I know it has been some time since my last post here, but don’t worry, I for sure wasn’t taking a long break. “What have I been doing?”, you ask. I was working on making PriEco better, faster, with more and better information, and with better design.

A lot has changed since my last message here. Let me tell you about them, one by one.

1st update:
It was a huge redesign update

I will let you check it out https://search.jojoyou.org/

2 Likes

how to reach the widgets?

1 Like

Widgets show when you put keywords into query:
weather “city”
calc/calculator
ip…

Thank you for well written feedback.
You are right, its design is still a little inconsistent. I will fix all of it.

Fixing Wikipedia is a little harder, and I am aware I should have put more time improving it. Nonetheless, I would say it is readable and useful, so I have decided to include it.

And now the bigger, more important update!

For the last 3 months, I have been working only on 1 thing in PriEco. It’s index!
I have made a powerful, effective and fast web crawler. It gathers web results, Wikipedia data, news articles, Reddit discussions, and even images.

Currently, PriEco has indexed:

1.4M pages

102K images

6.5K news articles

750K Reddit discussions

100K Wikipedia

10K YouTube videos

1.57M search suggestions

If you want to try searching only using PriEco’s independent index, you can do so right here https://search.jojoyou.org/pri

Also, added more information sources and made PriEco sustainable “hopefully”. This is the reason I have released it out of beta after 2 years of hard and focused work!

What you need to do?
All you need to do is enjoy a no-tracking, eco-friendly, and user-friendly web search engine.

I hope you will like it, and if you have any feedback for me, you can send it to me directly through PriEco or through many more chats.

I am not quitting. I believe it is all just starting, and you can be excited about many more big and unique updates in the future.

3 Likes

:cry:

Also, moved topic from Tool Suggestions to Project Showcase

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for trying it out.
Unfortunately the ranking isn’t perfect yet, but the index for sure knows about Privacy Guides, just it needs to be written together.
After that, the whole page is yours.

Hello!
I would like to inform you about improvements I have made to PriEco from our last chat.

I have taken security even more serious and because of requests from PriEco community I had been improving and benchmarking PriEco score in multiple online security tests:
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=search.jojoyou.org&hideResults=on&latest

Currently trying to get reviewed by https://tosdr.org/

And PriEco has been migrated to a new faster server in Switzerland
So yes, from now PriEco is under Swiss laws.

++ many more improvements

1 Like

i guess ill try it…

nevermind…

97% of my traffic was bots, so I started using a huge list of “malicious” IP addresses. I think that you are using VPN or TOR and the IP is in the list.

You truly just need to fill the captcha. Or DM me your IP and I will remove it.

H-Captcha is rare even if you use VPN or TOR.

Oh for sure its my VPN but, none of the other recommended search providers have this issue. In the time it would take to either DM you or solve the captcha I could have done multiple searches on any of the other providers. I might be in the minority but I am just not willing to spend the time to problem solve if there are multiple options that are just as good, or better, that do not have the issue.

If possible you may want to remove IPs from your list that are from more popular privacy respecting VPNs such as the ones on PG and maybe a few of the other popular mid tier VPNs such as Windscribe for example.

1 Like

This is a good idea. Thank you for it and sorry for the poor user experience.

1 Like

Nothing to apologize for! You are trying to create something thats going to benefit a lot of people.

I should of tried to make my point in a nicer way. The user base your appealing to is going to have a lot of VPN users. If they are all forced to use captchas every time they want to search its going to lead them to other providers.

1 Like

You are completely right. This needs to be done right, otherwise it can get annoying and users will leave.

To this time I haven’t really got any negative comments/feedback about the captcha, so I let it be, but as now I see someone has an issue with it. It increased in priority in my to-do list.

1 Like