Olvid: Private messenger

My understanding is their matrix instance is not part of the greater matrix network, and they use a custom client specific to their needs.

2 Likes

requesting all government employees to uninstall foreign communication apps such as Signal, WhatsApp, and Telegram by December 8, 2023, in favor of a French messaging app named ‘Olvid.’

Compartmentalization not an option? Government employees could be assigned work phones, with Olvid.

Couldn’t find original source from French government. Anyone have it? Closest I could find is an EU source, which doesn’t specify the exact directive.

The 22 November 2023, only one directive was filled, indeed by the first minister. However, it refers to exceptional directives for the organization of the 2024 JO in Paris, and doesn’t mention Olvid even once.
(In French)
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/circulaire/id/45491?fonds=CIRC&page=1&pageSize=10&query=du+22+novembre+2023&searchField=TITLE&searchType=ALL&tab_selection=all&typePagination=DEFAULT

Via the official French governement search for the different documents and directives, absolutly no reference to Olvid was found/indexed.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/search/all?tab_selection=all&query={(%40ALL[t"Olvid"])}&&isAdvancedResult=true&pageSize=10&typeRecherche=date&init=true&page=1

Plenty of articles on French media did reported on it, but from my searches, none actually source where this was actually announced outside of « Le Point » pointing out a 22 November 2023 Directive : (In French)

Other reports without pointing out sources : (French as well, notice how they seems to weirdly all copy themselves alongside with the picture)

2 Likes

Very useful findings :+1:

Le Monde has an international enough reputation that as a non-French speaker, I’ve heard of them. Yet, no link to source. Even weirder, that search on legifrance.gouv.fr turned up nothing relevant.

As far as I can tell, the image is one that was chosen because it includes the Olvid icon. The same image has been used in multiple publications, including where the subject matter is about other messengers.

Found that 6428/SG from article Que dit vraiment la « circulaire Olvid » de Matignon ? | Silicon

1 Like

Similar to Qwant, lot of buzz, few results.