New AI tool enables real-time face swapping on webcams, raising fraud concerns

Consumer grade hardware can now do real time face swaps. I just tried out creating a pipeline for spoofing an identity on my desktop, seems very easy. Voice changers exist, in-painting and image generation AI exists, and now believable Live web cam software also exists.

It also presents an interesting way to spoof face-based KYC, how will they verify integrity now?

Start using secret passwords to identify family members I guess :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Any biometrics involving your face should be using your phoneā€™s hardware to do it, ideally with a 3D map of your face like Appleā€™s Face ID has.

Also most people only talk to family members over messengers where you verify in person first anyway, youā€™re not getting sent random videos from an unknown sender and thinking itā€™s really grandma are you.

Yeah this type of technology is already being used to scam businesses.

Security fail on their end.

The silver lining is that banks & co might now shy away from these kinds of privacy-invasive ā€œverificationā€ techniques, They probably wonā€™t, but maybe.

2 Likes

I think you can say that about most scams. I highly doubt most people ever suspect a video call to be a deep fake and are very much at risk of falling for this same type of scam.

1 Like

True. But banks and institutions should have some proper security in place not just ā€œI was on a video call so that means itā€™s themā€

I think assuming institutions have the proper security has been proven to be a terrible assumption time and time again.

1 Like

This should be a wake up call for them then.

The deepfake wave is coming! And the public does not seem to be preparedā€¦
I guess in the next 1 to 2 years any communication must be done with verifying public keys beforehand. Glad that Nostr is already here to deal with this.
And while you still have time: set a family password for you & your loved ones, they will get scamed sooner or later!

Tell that to all the third party authentication services governments, banks, and institutions use. Apple itself uses third party identification services for employee management (ex-Apple employees can confirm this for you). Face ID is a device owner authentication method, not a Identity verification

Ignoring the condescending tone, I do talk to everyone on secure platforms only. But these scams donā€™t usually target me, they target people who are not tech literate like, you guessed it, my grandma. Plus, even security professionals fall for phishing scams :slight_smile: