Need a New Phone - Alternative to Google Pixel: Zenfone 10, Motorola, or Wait for Samsung Galaxy S24?

US$ 1.200 is my budget. Including importing taxes, if any.

I really feel like the Samsung S24 is going to be the way to go. I don’t want to, but it ticks all requirements but the Custom OS. I think I can take ADB tooling as my option.

But considering it will launch at the end of January, I’m still taking recommendations.

Amazon (US) sells the G52 for 200, and the G32 for 150, which is why we were focused on these models in the first place.

2 Likes

I looked on this website Motorola Moto G52 price in US, UK

Yesterday it was 299 now only 149 even. It seems fluctuating.

It tends not to be the same. If you import it as an individual some additional fees charged by couriers can get added, and then you may also have to pay taxes on those fees! As an example, DHL Express here in Portugal charges 50€ just to present the package to customs, plus 23% VAT on that amount.

1 Like

Holy shit I can vouch for Asus phones, their phones are built like a beast! At least my Zenfone 6 did until I dropped it bad. They even included hi - res DAC inside the phone which was quite rare as only Sony is the only other company that used to do it!

Their OS also feels very stock

I’ve always wondered what’s the point of having secure software on a device if the hardware itself contains malware like a keylogger.

Basically this. If for some reason I can no longer use GrapheneOS, I’ll revert back to iPhone.

Are you responding to me?

No, sorry. I thought I was responding to anon69127683

Used Fairphone 4 + DivestOS?

DivestOS :grinning:
Fairphone :frowning:

I wouldn’t want a phone that consistently lags behind on important updates to the level that fairphones do; at that point Samsung would be better – they at least deliver the AOSP patches mostly on time even if they don’t hit the PSB updates too and are often among the first to upgrade their flagships to new android versions with all the security benefits thereof

Samsung is very good at making you pay twice. Once with a lot of money and then with your data.

3 Likes

I’d rather okay security with some work needed on privacy (with the understanding i’ll never get perfect privacy) than decent privacy with dogshit security

Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking

I’m from Brazil

The AOSP patches aren’t for those using the out of the box OS? I mean, if you get a Samsung phone, flash a DisvestOS does it gets security updates more often than a Fairphone with the same DivestOS?

In any case, flashing an unofficial ROM on Samsung phones would make the phone’s bootloader to be unlocked. IMO, this is the worse security issue that could ever happen on any Android device.

On some devices, you can’t re-lock the bootloader, hence making the phone vulnerable forever, e.g. Sony.

And some devices have unsecured bootloader. IIRC, one of Fairphone models was one of those devices.

If security is a must, Google Pixel is the only real option, as it’s able to retain a locked bootloader even when using unofficial ROM. There’s no way around that. Luckily, now we get the best support from many manufacturers (on flagship models - comparable to iPhone, price-wise). Android flagship models from Samsung and OnePlus/Oppo get 5 years of security update. That’s the same as iPhone.