What do you think is a secure alternative?
I don’t think there is a great option on desktop. GrapheneOS in desktop mode or an iPad are going to be your most secure options I think. There’s also the new Googlebooks that are more Android-like desktops.
What? How would the new Googlebooks be any better?
Is GrapheneOS on the desktop any good yet?
Why would you pick an iPad over a Mac?
Googlebooks by default have verified boot and they use the Titan C security chip. All apps are sandboxed like on Android. Also this is pretty cool:
It also features a first for the laptop category: a Level 5 security-certified pKVM hypervisor. This hypervisor powers an isolated Linux environment with a full terminal access, so you can safely run any Linux developer tools, pull code repositories, or execute autonomous agents.
On Macs, the hardware is very secure. You pretty much have verified boot as well and MTE and the Secure Enclave is the same as on iPhones, but macOS doesn’t sandbox all apps by default and there’s a lot more attack surface than Googlebooks.
An iPad works fairly well as a desktop, you can get cases that turn them into laptops. All apps are sandboxed and it doesn’t have the same attack surface as macOS. But it’s more limited. Googlebooks feature the secure Linux VM that you can use to do dev stuff if you really need to.
Is the Google part of a Googlebook not a bigger issue as far as privacy is concerned?
They were asking what the most secure desktop is which I interpret to mean against malware etc. If you’re worried about Google itself probably best not to use Googlebooks, I don’t know if it’s possible to use them without an account but I know Chromebooks wouldn’t let you use it properly without an account, you could only use a neutered “guest mode.”
Ah fair sorry I lost sight of the context. Yes they sound very secure that way