I’d like to be able to see whether an app has a verification before I go through the process of downloading it. Is going to the issue tracker and searching for closed issues a good way to do it?
I think @CosmicOrca68 is correct that just searching through data.yml would be the easiest solution.
I think originally Verified Apps — AppVerifier Database was supposed to be what people would use but, just like with the rest of the database, it seems to be on hold in terms of development right now.
If you already downloaded the apk but don’t want to install without verifing you can also share it with the app first. This method works on Verified Apps, AppVerifier, and AppVerifier BG.
@blibly this thread inspired me to put up a small unofficial lookup site. It regenerates daily from the verified-apps data.yml and merges in the rotated keys AppVerifier BG has observed. You can search by package name or by APK SHA-256. It is unofficial and upstream is canonical.
One caveat: being listed means the package is registered with those keys, it does not prove a specific file you have is genuine. If you already have the APK, sharing it with AppVerifier, Verified Apps, or AppVerifier BG, as @anonymous644 mentions, to check the file itself is still the stronger check.