Is browser fingerprint a concern if I'm logging into a website?

If I’m already logging into a website, say a bank website or my doctors website, does my browser fingerprint really matter since I’m logging in and they already know who I am? I’m using GrapheneOS and would like the extra security of Vanadium when using those sites but other than using something like NextDNS, it doesn’t do much in the way of blocking anything.

Yes.

You don’t need to let whatever shitty third-parties they partner with to profile your every move and correlate it on other platforms.

9 Likes

Even if 3rd party cookies are blocked?
I should add I’d only use Vanadium to sign into sites. I use Mull for general browsing.

The whole point of fingerprinting is so you don’t need to rely on persistent storage like cookies to identify a user.

Isolation of data set by websites is critical, but so is a strong content blocker, along with effective mitigations against fingerprinting. They all work together tackling different aspects.

4 Likes

That’s somewhat irrelevant I think. Because cookies, and fingerprinting are different ways to achieve the same goal (identifying and tracking users). Blocking one doesn’t decrease the importance of the other. Fingerprinting doesn’t depend on cookies it is alternative to cookies

I should add I’d only use Vanadium to sign into sites. I use Mull for general browsing.

In my opinion, this is more or less a fine approach (if you are comfortable with it).

While there is risk to your privacy, it wouldn’t limited/contained to the sites you visit in Vanadium, if that is an acceptable risk to you, I think it is probably ok.

1 Like