How exhaustive is the App Privacy Report on iPadOS / iOS?

iPadOS / iOS has a feature called App Privacy Report: About App Privacy Report - Apple Support

The feature is supposed to include sensor and network activity. Sensor activity seems complete, but I think the network activity list is not complete. Network activity that I expect to see doesn’t appear.

So I’m curious, anyone else dig into this? What have your findings been?

Some old unupdated apps do not comply, so there is no information to be gleaned.

Your post just made me realize that my expectations were incorrect.

I had expected App Privacy Report to behave like, for example, Little Snitch does: showing all traffic in Network Monitor.

Now, realizing that app developers have a say, I went digging in developer documentation. The instructions for how apps distributed through Apple must behave, with regards to network activity, are eye-opening.

1 Like

AFAIK a developer cannot control the network activity displayed in the App Privacy report. Apple Developer documentation doesn’t mention a way to do so other than indicating the source of network activity.

The instructions for how apps distributed through Apple must behave, with regards to network activity, are eye-opening.

This sound like the documentation for App Privacy Details which is different from the App Privacy Report.