Ente (Photo Management)

Only the ones that store data on their servers.

Apps that only store data locally like Thunderbird, Apple Mail (not iCloud, but the mail client) and K-9 are not.

2 Likes

I also really recommend this service

2 Likes

starting using it after following the discussion + seeing it’s been approved. Pretty much exactly what i was looking for, and well priced. handled my massive upload well too.

3 Likes

Been using Ente for the last two months.

Could have gone for Stingle Photos but some minor features on Ente made me stay.

Specifically this option:

It allows me to delete unwanted photos from Ente alone, from device alone or from both. It helps keeping it tidy.

2 Likes

IMO Ente’s UI is cleaner, they also update their application more and constantly work on new features.

3 Likes

@vishnukvmd

I appreciate the app lock feature. I have a request though–can an app-specific PIN be available rather than the device PIN? and/or have an option for biometrics only?

@purplecactus That isn’t possible yet, but Vishnu has a issue open for that. Independent lockscreen · Issue #1240 · ente-io/photos-app · GitHub

2 Likes

okay, cool. ty.

1 Like

https://ente.io/ is a great alternative to google photos without having to sacrifice privacy.

Its end to end encrypted, has recently been audited by cure53, cross platform with a web, mobile, and desktop* app. And they appear to take data redundancy very seriously, so it should be a reliable way to backup photos.

I think it’d be great if privacyguides made a photos section under recommendations, where ente and similar options can be listed.

Some other options that can be listed are stingle (however it’s not been audited, and mobile only). And immich which has a familiar UI to google photos, and is a great option if selfhosting.

* it’s worth noting the ente desktop app doesn’t appear to have been audited. Regarding clients, only the web and mobile apps are listed in cure53’s report.

3 Likes

This has already been accepted and is a part of the current WIP PR

1 Like

They should work on their pricing imho.

1 Like

Hey, one of the folks building ente here. Thank you for the feedback! Just to be clear, our desktop app is an Electron wrapper over our web app. The web app is configured as a submodule (ui) here: GitHub - ente-io/photos-desktop: Desktop app for ente Photos

So the code within the audited web app is what our desktop app relies on.

6 Likes

Hello @team

It’s been close to 5 months since ente photos was approved (and 2 years since our initial request for review). Can you please advise us on how we can move forward? If reviewing other photo products is the blocker, can we request get a listing under the cloud storage section with a relevant note/warning that the service only supports photos & videos?

We understand the amount of effort and work the PG team puts into reviewing and running the community, and we don’t want to unnecessarily bother your team with the same request multiple times.

8 Likes

It actually needs to be finished that PR, one that @jonah had started on. Not sure why it was a combined one though, will have to check.

5 Likes

Basically because of the discussion on ent auth i decided to have another look at this.

This really has become an amazing product on first sight. I am actually considering to swich.

Edit:
Done quite some testing. Really promising product.
@vishnukvmd can you tell me if it is possible to switch plans mid term? So f.x. i subscribe for 500gb and I start afding family members. I have no idea how much storage I need. Can i still upgrade if I pay yearly?

6 Likes

@ph00lt0 Yes, this is definitely possible. I did the same thing, you’ll basically get pro-rated and will only have to pay the difference. There’s a FAQ item dedicated to this: https://ente.io/faq/subscription/upgrade-plan/

4 Likes

Awesome thank you for confirming Iw as unable to find that info.

2 Likes

Hey @ph00lt0, thanks a bunch for the feedback!

And yes, like @Iron pointed out, you can upgrade at any point, charges will be pro-rated. We’ll figure out how we can surface this information within the subscription screen.

3 Likes

I am evaluating some of the other options there and working on a description for them all, as it seems to be a combined PR.

I noticed that a few months ago there was some discussion about adding Ente but it was never added for some reason. Does anyone know why?

Thanks