Could Ubuntu be a reasonably secure "just works" alternative to Fedora?

Absolutely! Switching to a totally new operating system is hard enough for non-technical users and I think PG might be prioritizing the potential security benefits of Fedora a bit too much… So much so that there isn’t really a “just works” alternative listed for people who absolutely cannot make use of the other recommendations. So long as Ubuntu is meaningfully better than Windows in regards to privacy and doesn’t have some sort of fatal security failing, I really think it should be mentioned in some form.

It definitely wouldn’t be new for Privacy Guides to recommend something that is potentially problematic or imperfect. There are many sections which have warnings related to any particular recommendation, or sections where they provide soft recommendations coupled with disclaimers or warnings. Examples include…

and others…

If Fedora isn’t an ideal “just works” option, I can’t imagine why PG couldn’t do some sort of soft Ubuntu recommendation (like they do with Element, Session, F-Droid, and Kicksecure) or have recommend Ubuntu with warnings attached like they do with Firefox, Brave, Mull, OpenPGP, VPNs, Nextcloud, Nitrokey, etc.

Anyways, just to reiterate, the main point of the post was to confirm that Ubuntu was a fine choice (in regards to privacy and security) as an alternative to Fedora and if anyone knew of any issues with replacing Snap with Flatpak on Ubuntu. (Though it would be great if the community would re-consider adding an Ubuntu recommendation in some form!)

1 Like