How to Encrypt Malis in Apple iCloud Mail

How do I encrypt my iCloud mailbox so Apple can’t see what’s in my inbox? Preferably a free and open source solution.

I have no need to send encrypted emails to others. I just want the emails to be encrypted after they are sent to my inbox so that Apple cannot see the content of my emails on the server. And all my outgoing emails are forwarded using iCloud+ Hide My Email. I am not sure whether GPG encryption will have any impact (I have read many articles, please forgive me for not understanding them).

If you know how I can encrypt the emails in my iCloud inbox please let me know, thank you very much!

When the Apple mail server receives an unencrypted email from someone the service can see the content before it puts it in your inbox. Anything you do after that is … too late.

2 Likes

why even use icloud mail at that point… i don’t get it

Email is not a private form of communication. The only way to prevent the mail server from being able to read the contents of an email is if the sender encrypts it using something like PGP, which very few people use. Even in the case of secure email providers that encrypt your emails like Proton Mail, they can still see the incoming emails before they get encrypted.

BlockquoteWhen the Apple mail server receives an unencrypted email from someone the service can see the content before it puts it in your inbox. Anything you do after that is … too late.

My threat model is not the monitoring of incoming emails, but the possible data breach.

I don’t know much about Proton Alias, but I can’t live without Hide My Email aliases. Its deep integration with the system is very convenient. And I think the convenience brought outweighs the privacy lost.

I see. That is: as long as I don’t use a privacy email provider that natively supports end-to-end encryption of the inbox, or the sender doesn’t encrypt the message; then I can’t encrypt the message at the recipient to offset the privacy concerns of symmetric encryption of emails on the server?