Criticism of mask wearing in privacy communities

During question time of presentation “Privacy Is Our Dignity” (34:15), the speaker criticized an audience participant’s wearing of a mask before they attempted to ask their question.

I wanna see your face brother.
You’re wearing a mask!?
Remember it starts with the face brother.

For context, before the above happened, the speaker made a reference (29:02) to Emmanuel Levinas’ philosophy of the human face.

However, to me the speaker’s criticism shows intolerance and (in my view) a fascist-leaning “if you wanna be one of us you need to take your mask off” attitude. For someone speaking about privacy and dignity, that is disappointing.

More generally, I have trouble understanding the anti-mask sentiment that exists even within communities that believe in privacy. The above presentation is not the only on-record example of criticism of mask wearing in a privacy community.

Why do I think this is a problem? Individuals can believe whatever they want about wearing or not wearing a mask, but confronting mask wearers or imposing one’s own view on them is unacceptable. There may be reasons why people wear masks: to maintain their privacy, out of concern about contagious disease, being immuno-compromised, another medical reason, etc.

I have a few questions for people in this community, please freely answer any of them as you like.

1. What are your views and experiences of mask wearing (technical, practical, political or otherwise)?
  2. What are your experiences of mask wearing or lack thereof (by you or others) within communities that lean towards privacy? For example privacy communities, minorities, survivors, activists.
  3. What are your experiences of mask wearing or lack thereof (by you or others) within wider/mainstream societies where you live or have experience in? Is it banned, stigmatized, voluntary, mandatory etc?
3 Likes

The simple answer is that some privacy communities are “privacy because we’re edgy losers who don’t want consequences and accountability for our actions” rather than “privacy is a fundamental human right”

I wear a mask basically any time I’m in public, I’ve only caught the flu once in the past 4 years and only caught covid once, prior to mask-wearing, so it works pretty well ha

Everyone basically stopped when the gov stopped mandating it, but there’s some people (including myself) who still do and I have never had a negative experience due to wearing a mask

12 Likes

I wear a mask when I’m in public too. I caught COVID and influenza multiple times after the COVID pandemic began, and I never agreed to having my face scanned. I oppose mandates, but ironically things were more pleasant for me while mask wearing was mandated.

Interesting. I assumed the former have motivation to cover their face. Maybe they don’t mind showing their faces in meatspace while they live life in cyberspace. Or Western people are emotionally against mask wearing because they see it as antithetical to free speech/expression or something, maybe?? I haven’t found an explanation that fits in my mind.

lmao. true though.

You’d think people might be more interested in the privacy-protecting properties of wearing a mask :thinking:

1 Like

We all may or may not have a very good reason to wear masks again soon, all the time:

1 Like

Some countries culturally do it regardless of COVID. I’ve also found masks help a lot during allergy season.

1 Like

Hi, I’m new here, and I’m laughing at myself that this is the first post I’m commenting on. I personally don’t have a problem with people wearing face masks to each his own. I don’t wear one. I have immune issues, so doc insisted until I caught phenomena while at the pharmacy and ended up in hospital for 7 days. After that I didn’t wear one. What I do have a problem with is the mandate of wearing a mask and the do it or else attitude. I also didn’t like what the mandate did to people. Just another way for the government to cause division.

2 Likes

Personally, if I have the opportunity, I greatly value seeing someone’s face to have a more human connection. Masks are fine, but if I’m with friends I’d prefer to see their face.

As for people choosing to wearing them, I have 0 thoughts about it. We should have the right to wear a mask. It can be for health reasons, privacy, or even style I suppose. In America, it’s extremely strange to see anti-mask sentiment given it’s supposed to be a very individualistic and country of freedom. I think the sentiment of anti mask largely comes from the galvanization of groups to believe it represents mandates, no health benefits, or that the wearer subscribes to an ideology (just my take, could be wrong). Strange stuff.

I work at healthcare outside the US.

Not wearing mask seems outright silly because this has always been the standards of healthcare practice in all hospitals even before all this Covid madness has befallen us.

Side rant

Politization of wearing masks seems fundamentally wrong, ethically speaking.

I guess the US does not have a strong sense of social responsibility compared to the more far eastern cultures.

I wear mask to protect myself and others at the time of pandemic. I continue to wear it because I measurably and significantly get less colds compared to my non-mask wearing years. The added benefit of not being identified by CCTVs is the cherry on top. I dont mind being the weirdo.

5 Likes