Notesnook (Evernote Alternative)

Hi,

Have you guys looked into Notesnook as a recommended tool for Notebooks section on the website? I was looking for an Evernote replacement and I came up on this through the subreddit. It looks the most similar to Evernote out of all the options and has been made open source recently. Has anyone here used it and if you have, do you recommend it?

Thanks!

IMO it is not an replacement for Standard Notes, If you are paying for the SN plans, as they offer more functionality. However NotesNook does have promise, and is certainly a decent alternative to Evernote or Joplin (IMO Joplin is currently better). If you are looking for a Evertnote alternative, then it is indeed a toss up between Joplin and Notesnook. Notesnook does look better appearance wise, but Joplin has been there for a long time and are fully Open Source. Currently NotesNook only has clients Open Source and Not the Back End (Will be in the future). Also Joplin has a web clipper, while Notesnook does not. Else Both are functionally same. If you want the clipper go for Joplin, else Notesnook.

1 Like

Notesnook is on our radar. The relevant part is now open-source (the backend is secondary, as it’s less of a concern is end-to-end encryption is implemented correctly).

After digging a little bit more, I’m not currently seeing a security audit for Notesnook.

In contrast to that, Standard Notes which is one of the options that we currently recommend has had an independent audit.

On the other hand, Notesnook has “Notesnook Vericrypt” which is supposed to be a tool that verified that your data is actually encrypted as it’s supposed to be.

More research is needed.

5 Likes

Why so many laps to add to notesnook? They must do it today.

Privacy Guides isn’t merely a list of software that looks or sounds cool. We like to take our time and evaluate our recommendations before adding them, because we feel like we have a responsibility to our community to appropriately vet what we suggest. That goes both for recommendations as well as our guides.

If you would like to expedite the process, we’re more than happy to have members of our community assist us in evaluating projects, but we will not add something just because, without having first taken a very good look at it.

10 Likes

Notesnook, has not got an audit yet, and has quite a few bugs. Honestly I feel it still needs a few months perhaps. Also I am unsure if the metadata is encrypted too!! But it surely is on the right track.

1 Like

What about Xournal++ ? Sadly its the only one ive found so far which supports graphic tablets

I heard about Notesnook recently from a friend, and I have been looking into it and it seems fairly decent. Wondering if anyone else has used it or has any thoughts on it as a service

5 Likes

I use it and I love it. The developers are really active on it and new features are released often. You can get the premium version for only $10 a year if your a student

Not sure where you see 10 a year @stillcoat?

But yeah it’s a great solution I also started testing it lately and must say it’s better than the other solutions that offer e2ee. Still missing Notion every day haha.

1 Like

Oh sorry looks like I forgot to mention that it was the student plan.

And Yeah I also miss Notion, I still use it but not as much. If they ever add E2EE, i’m going to jump back

Would you mind elaborating on that? It looks very similar to Joplin and standard notes.

Same… database feature is too good.

Sadly no longer a student :slight_smile:

Wondering if anyone has transitioned away from StandardNotes to Notesnook and how you think notesnook compares to SN in daily usage?

I haven’t used Standard Notes, only Notesnook. As I was looking for a notes app Notesnook seemed to offer way more for free than Standard Notes. I think you get formatting on your notes for free whereas you have to pay on Standard notes if you want more than plain text. I think.

Also +1 on Notesnook. Polish of Google Keep, approaches the power of Obsidian, and all FOSS.

EDIT: I confused the hardware based 2FA with another app. Notesnook | Open source & zero knowledge private note taking app

Notesnook user here. I love this app and the security/privacy features are amazing. You can create an encrypted vault for particularly sensitive notes. They support software AND hardware-based (Yubikey) 2FA. The development is very active and the team behind it is very dedicated. For $5/mo., I’d say it’s worth it. Notesnook is fully FOSS. Evernote should be scared.

2 Likes

They support software AND hardware-based (Yubikey) 2FA.

I have 2FA with aegis on android, I only have the option to add sms or mail as another choice.
Where do you see the U2F/fido2 option?

1 Like

My mistake. I use the Yubico Authenticator app. Not FIDO.

Another good resource is there FAQ:

1 Like

I did! So far it has been amazing. I mainly switched because of the UI and some more features.

1 Like

Awesome! Anything in particular you like over SN?