Linux vs Open Core Legacy Patcher for an old MacbookPro?

I’m sure Linux is as easy to use as MacOS I just feel that it seems to need some tweaks with stuff and terms I don’t even know about yet that I need to learn along the way (Selinux/Apparmor/Kernel/flatpak/snap/immutable……) to be as secure as a ready to use OS like Mac OS. Just like Firefox vs hardened Firefox vs Brave out of the box. Doesn’t mean that Firefox is hard to use.
Maybe the already tweaked solution from SkewedZeppelin here is the way to go

To make my decision I would like to know what are the real risk I take and their potentiality/possibility to happen when :

• Using a ten year old MacBook Pro with high Sierra
  • Using the same MacBook Pro with OCLP
  • Using Fedora out of the box on the same machine without knowledge

Indeed, if I get on a plane, I risk dying, and if I leave a Louis Vuitton bag on a café terrace with my wallet in plain view, I risk having it stolen. Now, it’s better to keep your bag safe than not to get on a plane, because the risk is absolutely not the same. In IT, I sometimes get the impression that we’re told all the potential risks without ever tempering that opinion.

This is just for a normal use : web browsing, banking, paying tax, printing personal pictures, listening music, watching videos. I’m not a journalist nor an activist. Also my mother is in the same situation so I would like to implement the same solution for her. That’s why I’m kind of picky with Linux but If it’s the only real secure option….

Thanks for your help and advise.