I don’t like the idea of potentially revealing more details about your device and location when you scan the QR code.
I also wonder what about people with dumb phones? Is it fair to expect them to buy a smartphone?
Just a couple of years ago, I had a boss who I noticed had a dumb phone. He was relatively young, in his 40s, and deliberately used a dumb phone. I never asked him why, but I don’t think it was because he wasn’t smart enough to use smartphone. If some people still use dumb phones it is unfair to expect them to switch.
In relation to this, I also ask myself the following. Suppose you buy a French sim card in France, but then use that same SIM card in Japan. You use that SIM card to register a Google account from Japan.
Will Google be able to detect you’re in Japan (assuming you’re using a VPN) or will they still assume your location is France?