Fedora is not a user friendly Linux Distro

The previous discussion on Ubuntu is worth another look:

The privacy concerns with snaps are still valid, and they are still pushy about linking to an Ubuntu One account. I just reinstalled Ubuntu last night to look at it more and nothing has really changed from the statements there.

The snap thing in particular is enough for me to not want to endorse Ubuntu. Not just the privacy concerns brought up there, although those are big, but also just the nature of its proprietary backend. “Open source” is a requirement for our distro recommendations, and I almost find it disingenuous to describe Ubuntu as fully open-source while its primary app distribution system is proprietary. Also, Ubuntu doesn’t seem very end-user focused anymore. I was surprised yesterday at how difficult it is to navigate ubuntu.com and find information about Ubuntu Desktop at all in their navbar at the top. The first words you see on fedoraproject.org on the other hand tell you exactly what Fedora’s all about.

The changes being made to the Linux pages in Clean up OS overview pages by jonaharagon · Pull Request #2235 · privacyguides/privacyguides.org · GitHub which clarify the purpose our recommendations is enough of a change for me to be honest. We can work on the wording, but it should be clear that any Linux distribution is a big step up from using e.g. Windows, but our distro recommendations exemplify our “privacy wish list” in ways which Ubuntu and some other distros, frankly, do not.

Right now I’m really leaning towards a “Fedora configuration guide” blog post over a recommendation change here.

Heck, I’d even think it’s a good idea to write an “Ubuntu configuration guide” blog post describing how to make privacy-enhancing changes to Ubuntu if we wanted. I don’t think our guides have to be restricted to what we endorse necessarily (obviously, since we have guides on macOS/iOS already).

4 Likes