Add "Connect You" app to Android Page

Not sure how useful this is now that we have Contact Scopes in GrapheneOS which is far more refined.

This app could serve some people who might not have GrapheneOS. But I would say those people probably live under a different thread model anyway. This is an assumption and I am aware but looking at my own user base I think that those people would not want to give up contact sync.

1 Like

Some people want but canā€™t afford a pixel tho.

Sure thing. I also know people who saved up for it. Itā€™s not a given for everyone. But definitely a good step for privacy. To me grapheneOS is really an important asset. People are mobile first (or only) fully these days.

But I think the people under such thread model will need a phone this price range anyway. A phone thst receives updatesā€¦ Iphones are far more expensive.

Another issue is that Pixels have very limited availability, and they tend to be more expensive outside the US.

This is getting off topic. We already established once in another thread that Nitrokey (sells pixel with gOS) has worldwide shipping. iPhones and Pixels are the only well suppored phones without any bloatware. The world isnā€™t bright and fair.

Just chiming in to say that yes, with the addition of Contact Scopes to GrapheneOS, the separate contact storage not accessible by other apps is no longer really useful, and just becomes an annoyance (cannot grant any app access to the ā€œlocalā€ contacts or a subset of them). Itā€™s the equivalent of writing your contacts down in a note, only theyā€™re more neatly organized and can be exported as a .vcf file.

So if you use GrapheneOS, itā€™s safe to say that this is 100% not relevant to you anymore. Not everyone uses GrapheneOS or has a Pixel to use one, though.

It is also important to note that Connect You unfortunately doesnā€™t implement of the standard contact app intents to play well with other apps, so someone daily driving it and disabling the AOSP contacts app is likely to notice issues (including with Contact Scopes).

Overall, I donā€™t know where I sit on it at this point. It might provide some value to someone who wants a separate store of contacts that apps canā€™t access, and it works okay, but itā€™s not a complete contacts app replacement.

Iā€™ll leave it up to Privacy Guides on whether they want to consider it or not, but at this point, Iā€™m liking leaning towards no.

1 Like

I am with you on this. I just feel for those who would be in need of this will use a pixel/iphone and for those who donā€™t have this it is too complex anyway.